The health effects of smoking cigarettes are horribly destructive and in many cases, deadly. Approximately 7000 chemicals, have been identified in cigarettes and cigarette smoke to date, 250 of which are poisonous and 70, carcinogenic. Science is far from finished in its exploration of the composition of manufactured tobacco products, and the chemical count is still increasing.
The ingredients and additives in cigarettes affect everything from the internal functioning of organs to the efficiency of the body’s immune system.
- Cigarette Additives What They Are and What They Do
The health effects of cigarette smoking are destructive and widespread. Let’s take a closer look at the details about how smoking affects the human body.
Toxic Ingredients in Cigarette Smoke
The chemicals in cigarette smoke are inhaled into the lungs and from there travel throughout the body, causing damage in numerous ways.
- Nicotine reaches the brain in 7 to 10 seconds after smoke is inhaled. Nicotine has been found in every part of a smoker’s body, including breast milk.
- Carbon monoxide, which is present in cigarette smoke, binds to hemoglobin in red blood cells, preventing these cells from carrying all of the oxygen they normally would. This can lead to symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Cancer causing agents (carcinogens) in tobacco smoke damage important genes that control the growth of cells, causing them to grow abnormally or to reproduce too rapidly. Seventy such cancer causing chemicals have been identified in cigarette smoke to date.
- Smoking affects how the immune system functions by causing oxidative stress. This in turn causes DNA mutation, setting the stage for cancer and heart disease. Oxidative stress is also thought to be a contributor to the aging process. Antioxidants are nature’s way of combating the damage oxidative stress causes to the body’s cells. Smokers have less antioxidants in their blood than nonsmokers.
- Smoking is associated with higher levels of chronic inflammation, another damaging process that may result in oxidative stress.
- Cigarette smoke contains radioactive heavy metals that “stick” to the tar that collects in the lungs of smokers. Over time, this builds up and is believed to be one of the risk factors for lung cancer in smokers.
Read more about the hazardous chemicals present in tobacco smoke
- Harmful Chemicals in Cigarette Smoke
Increased Health Risks Associated with Smoking
Smokers face a substantial increase in risk for a number of diseases over those who don’t smoke
- Coronary Heart Disease 2 to 4 times
- Stroke 2 to 4 times
- Lung cancer risk for men 23 times
- Lung cancer risk for women 13 times
- COPD related death 12 to 13 times
Cigarette Smoking and Death
- In the United States, cigarette smoking accounts for approximately 440,000 deaths a year. Globally, 5 million souls are lost to tobacco use annually, and if current trends continue, that number is expected to increase to 8 million by the year 2030.
- If no one smoked, cancer deaths in the U.S. would decrease by one third.
- Lung cancer is largely a smoker’s disease 90% of men and 80% of women who succumb to lung cancer smoked.
- COPD related deaths are also primarily caused by smoking, with 90% of these deaths traced back to cigarettes.
- Tobacco use is responsible for more deaths each year in the U.S. than all of the following combined
- Motor vehicle injuries
- Alcohol use
- Illegal drug use
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death in the world today. Were it not for the addiction to nicotine, no one would willingly inhale any of these toxins into their body and put their health at such great risk.
If you are still smoking, please look through the resources below. They will provide not only a map of how to put smoking behind you for good, they will inspire you to get started now.
- Your Quit Smoking Toolbox
- Smoking Cessation Support Forum
Don’t offer another minute of your life to this addiction that leads only to debilitating disease and death.
Quit smoking now.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health Effects of Cigarette Smoking. Accessed August 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smoking and Tobacco Use Fast Facts. /#toll. Accessed August 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Frequently Asked Questions about Polonium 210. Accessed August 2013.
National Institutes of Health. Lead 210 in Tobacco and Cigarette Smoke. Accessed August 2013.
E-cigarette: top-rated electronic cigarette
At the time our company was started, the e cigarette industry was full of bulky, complicated e cigarettes. Even the mini style e cigarettes contained multiple parts making them difficult and messy to use. Our founders saw tremendous potential in the product, and sold the two piece mini e cigarette design to make it more user friendly.
Our ecigarettes are intricate in design, but easy to use. You just put a cartridge on, and start puffing. But the internal processes are far more complex. When you take a drag, this activates the sensor. The sensor triggers the smart chip. The smart chip, which is in charge of turning the battery cell on and off, at this point activates the battery.
The activated battery heats up the heating element inside the cartridge (also called an atomizer). The atomizer vaporizes the eliquid, turning it into thick, realistic vapor that you inhale. Contained within the vapor are nicotine and flavorings. This whole process takes milliseconds from your perspective, you take a drag, enjoy the flavor, and exhale.
Better yet, the e cigarette vapor is almost odorless. The odor might linger for 1 or 2 seconds, but it is generally the smell of the corresponding e liquid flavor, and can be quite pleasant. You can enjoy a vaping session, usually 10 to 15 puffs, and seconds later, no one else will be able to tell.
Why a Green Smoke Electronic Cigarette?
In today s ever expanding e cig market, the Green Smoke brand stands apart. While everyone claims to have the highest vapor volume, richest taste, the longest lasting batteries, and industry leading quality, the real proof is in the pudding (or vaping in this case).
See what our customers are saying on Facebook and Twitter. Look at customer reviews of our e cigs. Our quality independently verifiable shows. The tremendous amount of time, energy, and money that we invest in research, development, and quality control is clear, once you try our e cigs.
Still unsure? Check it out. We back our words with action, and guarantee your total satisfaction. You can return every one of our ecig starter kits for 100% money back we ll even pay for the return shipping. How many vapor cigarette companies offer that?
Additional benefits? We also sell nicotine free electronic cigarettes, for those who want all the pleasure of vaping, but no nicotine. And even better yet, we re more than happy to offer you a Green Smoke coupon to lower your initial starting costs. Just because.
Experience for yourself our starter kits. They have everything you need to use ecigs successfully, at the best ecig prices for you. Our no hassle refund policy lets you try something new and exciting with peace of mind. There s so much to gain by switching to vapor cigarettes. So make the move green means go. Shop kits now>>